Friday, October 2, 2009

After Trip Thoughts

There is one particular incident that really upsets me.
 While we were driving to the wedding dinner on the freeway,
there was this big SUV that horned at us.
.
Initially, we thought we had a punctured tyre, but it turned out to be a racial discrimination.
In the SUV, there were 6-7 Whites (guys & gals) in their early 20s, who wind down window and started to shout at us and showed us fingers. They kept horning.
.
I was quite angry, and wanted to show them the middle finger.
My dad was at the backside asking us to ignore them.
Hence, we changed lane to avoid further confrontation. However, they were quite persistent to harrass us by changing lane and drove to our back to horn & flashed high-beam light at us. Then, they drove to our front.
We had to exit the freeway to avoid them.
.
I was extremely upset and angry, but I know it would be damn stupid to confront them.
We were driving a small Hyundai Getz, they were driving a big SUV.
.
(Stupid Budget Rental Car called us 2 days before our arrival to inform us that they could not provide us Toyota MPV - despite making the reservation 3 WEEKS in advance. We were given 2 small Hyundai Getz instead. This is another story. )
.
Sitting in my car was my 18 mths old toddler, my parents (who were not that young), and my sister & brother-in-law. I felt vulnerable and I believe i would lose control if any of them gets hurt.
.
If those racist bastards are unhappy with Asians, pick someone of the same size.
Don't bully family with young kid and old parents.
.
I felt extremely upset not just because I have been discriminated,
but I felt that my family was in a vulnerable position.
.
I thought of Buddhist Teaching that negative experience is the best teacher as it teaches us patience, perserverance & compassion. I thought of Ajahn Brahm, a Western Monk who I respect and coincidentally resides in Perth. But I could not apply the Buddhist teachings, as I was very emotional.
.
I know there are black sheeps in every community, however, I have met various degree of discrimination during the 9 days trip. I know that discrimination is unavoidable, but the situation is quite bad in Australia.
.
"An 11-year study into Racism in Australia by a collaboration of Australian universities founded that 85 per cent of Australians acknowledge racial prejudice occurs in the nation with one in five claiming to be a victim of racist verbal abuse or related incidents"
.
I spoke to a Singapore lady who stayed in Perth for 8 years, and she would retaliate by saying to those racist people that they are off-springs of criminals (who are unwanted migrants !).
.
I do not want to retaliate like that.
I do not want to degenerate like them.
But it is difficult.
.
Well, I have good encounters with nice and helpful Australians,
jus that negative event tends to stick to your mind abit longer.
.
+++
.
.
.
Overall, it was a very good family trip.
Spending quality time with loved ones is priceless.
My Mum was already suggesting to do a similar trip next year to Sydney & Melbourne.
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment